Having an allergic reaction can be potentially dangerous. And while humans are very much susceptible to all kinds of allergic reactions, so are our pets.
When you think about it, our furry companions are not that different from us. Not only do they love and feel the same way we do, but they also suffer from similar things. One of those things is allergies.
But have you asked yourself what exactly are you supposed to do if your pet suddenly has an allergic reaction? If so, and you have no idea what to do about it, then this is the article for you.
With all that said, let’s start.
Always Be Prepared
While it can be quite rare for your pet to have an allergic reaction, the best thing to do is to be prepared beforehand. This is why vets advise stocking on an emergency kit just in case something like this happens.
And while your vet will certainly tell you if your pet is more susceptible to having an allergic reaction, being prepared is the best course of action.
An emergency, or allergy, kit holds special medication that your pet will benefit from. But what we also suggest you do is keep your vets’ contact information in this kit in case you need to contact them.
Another thing to keep in the kit is past medical records and prescriptions that your pet needs or has been given in the past.
If you’re not really sure how to detect an allergic reaction, remember these three; excessive swelling of the face and eyes, difficulty breathing, gagging, and sudden vomiting or diarrhea, etc.
Try to Minimize Exposure
Your next course of action should be to try and protect your pet as much as you can. To do that, it’s best that you minimize exposure to the allergy. Allergies can make your dog or cat feel very sick. While it might seem nearly impossible to do that, given some allergies are caused by everyday things, this is the best way to prevent any serious damage.
The best way to minimize exposure is to do the following:
- Clean your pet’s bed, toys, and any other items that it regularly gets in contact with. You can try vacuuming and even putting it in the washing machine. To this regularly to prevent further damage.
- Get the latest purifiers on the market that are best designed for household pets. Air purifiers are very good in what they do and will eliminate any traces of allergens. Place the purifier in areas of your house where your pet mostly hangs around. This includes the living room and bedroom.
- Whenever coming back from the playground, make sure to clean its paws. This is the easiest way for allergens to make their way back to your home and potentially cause harm.
- Frequent bath time to remove any allergens stuck on your pet’s fur. The best way to do this is to use hypoallergenic shampoo specially designed for animals.
- Don’t go around bees and other insects that might cause harm to your pet. To easily identify these areas, simply look around for any flowering trees, plants, and bodies of water where insects mostly swarm.
Call the Vet
Ultimately, if you notice your pet’s symptoms worsening, you should immediately call the vet. They are best equipped for dealing with it and can recommend the best course of action.
If you’re having regular checks with the vet, then they will know exactly what to recommend since they’re familiar with your pet. If not, then you might have to schedule a visit as soon as possible. Your pet might not like a visit to the vet, but it is the best way to solve the problem and keep them happy.
How to Notice An Allergic Reaction
While we did mention the most common signs of an allergic reaction, let’s dive deeper into the issue. By familiarizing yourself with the most common signs of an allergic reaction, you are best equipped to deal with the issue before it gets out of hand. So, here is how to do just that.
Facial swelling is the most common sign of an allergic reaction in dogs, cats, and even birds. The swelling can be alarming and a red flag telling you that something is wrong.
To notice facial swelling, simply look for puffiness on the muzzle, earns, and around the eyes. Your pet will most likely change its appearance and behavior following excessive swelling. Facial swelling can be potentially dangerous as it could block the air path.
Your pet might experience difficulty breathing due to excessive swelling, but this is also a standalone sign of an allergic reaction. Similarly to humans, your dog or cat might find it hard to breathe. This can be a very alarming situation that calls for an immediate visit to the vet. Don’t sit on it as this sign could develop into something much more dangerous.
Itchiness is very common in pets and yet another sign of an allergic reaction. This is a universal manifestation of an allergy, which can occur anywhere around the body. But the most common areas are the limbs, behind the ears, around the eyes, the armpits, and hindquarters.
The easiest way to notice itchiness is to simply observe your pet’s behavior. You’ll notice excessive scratching and biting in the particular area, which will open a would and slowly get infected.
Most Common Types of Allergies in Pets
Now, we’ll give you a brief summary of the most common allergy types in pets.
- Food Allergies
Food can cause allergies in dogs, cats, and all sorts of household pets. This type of allergy usually results in loss of fur, diarrhea, and vomiting.
- Skin Allergies
Flea and ticks, as well as other factors, are mostly responsible for skin allergies. Since fleas and ticks carry bacteria and viruses with them, a bite can result in itchiness and redness followed by soreness due to biting and itching.
- Seasonal Allergies
Pets are quite prone to seasonal allergies the same way we are. The most common signs of seasonal allergies include ear infections, sneezing, and excessive biting at their feet.
- Acute Allergies
Acute allergies are the main cause of facial swelling. They are mostly caused by insect bites or stings and can be potentially dangerous.
The vet is your best option to call upon if you notice an allergic reaction with your pet. While there are steps to take to deal on your own, if things get out of hand then you should immediately give your vet a call.